Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Blooks

I can't help but feel silly when I write the word, but "blook" is a term that appears to be gaining legitimacy: there's even a blooker prize.

A blook, apparently, is a book whose contents were based on a blog. At least, that's how the Lulu blooker prize defines them. It seems to me that a serial novel published in a blog would be a great definition. The above-linked blook, Plague Zone, is by David Wellington, who seems to be after print publication, so he fits the Lulu blook definition pretty well.
There are, however, plenty of examples of web serials that might be called blooks - and often so call themselves.

On the other hand, maybe we need a better word (or words) for all of these things. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are some people who prefer the term 'blog fiction'. But overall there is some argument over the proper usage of the term, even within the blooking community.

Eli from Novelr

Sebatinsky said...

First off, very cool blog you have there - it appears that you beat me to the very topic I blog about :D (and by a long shot, too!)

Second, I completely understand why some people prefer "blog fiction," or even "web novel." Whenever I read the term "blook," I can't help but think of Gernsback's "scientifiction," which was ultimately (and fortunately) replaced by the term "Science Fiction."

However, if blook is the term the community wants to use, far be it from me to contradict them. I'll just wait it out and see what becomes the accepted term.

Sebatinsky said...

Eli:

I've spent some time reading your blog, and I'm happy to report that I was incorrect - our blogs do not address the same topic. While mine is mainly directed at readers, yours seems to be more for the writers.

Still, a very cool blog. It'll be a while before I've finished the bulk of it.

Anonymous said...

Wow. You sure weren't kidding when you said you're a reader. :)

Thank you, Bradley.